Thursday, January 12, 2012

Eczema...Not So Simple



What is eczema? The definition says--An acute or chronic non-contagious inflammation of the skin often caused by allergy and characterized by itching, scaling and blistering.


Melissa's definition-- A big pain in the butt to have to deal with, heartbreaking experience to watch your child go through, irritating, horrible skin condition that causes crazy itchiness to no avail!


My little Logan was finally diagnosed with eczema after many conversations and visits to pediatricians. He had it from the day he was born. At his first check up I addressed the issue and was told it was baby acne which would clear up on its own. I searched and searched on-line and honestly thought the doctor was wrong. 


The eczema started spreading and getting worse, this prompted another visit to his pediatrician..This time I was told it was a severe form of cradle cap that had spread down to his face and that baby acne was not the answer. I tried to bring up the fact that I thought it was eczema but the doctor was sure he was correct. I was instructed to use selsun blue on his head and the rough patches on his skin and within just a few baths it should improve and his skin should start to clear up.


I will admit Logan did present similarities in this condition but  I just knew that was not it. I followed the doctor's instructions with the selsun blue, baby oil, combing off any flaking, and lotions. His condition did clear up a little bit but not even a month later my poor baby swelled up huge, the rash got worse and I decided to do the same regimen that the doctor had told me to do. For days my boy was miserable and could barely sleep without crying every hour. His head started to pop up blisters and they would ooze. I decided to take him to the emergency room because I just could not handle seeing my baby go through this. 
Right when he started swelling up and I oiled him down with baby oil                                                        



A nap Logan was finally able to take, but as long as I was holding him
After I consulted with the doctor at the ER he confirmed to me that Logan did in fact have eczema! I knew it all along and my son has suffered through this horrible condition. Now hopefully we can find some relief. The doctor prescribed oral steroids for him. I also found out I had been doing everything wrong to try to find Logan some relief! After a two days on the oral steroids and me stopping all lotions and baby oils I had a happy smiling baby boy. 
Two days after treatment with oral steroids
I made a follow up appointment with Logan's pediatrician and he prescribed me some better hydro-cortisone cream for flare ups. Now the battle begins on trying to figure out what causes his flare ups and how to keep them under control. 






1 comment:

  1. hi, your baby is beautiful!

    A word of warning about the steroids though, please be careful. My parents put steroid creams on me when I was a baby and as an adult I became addicted to them. Please do not use them for more than 5 days in a row.

    Check out itsan.org for more info.

    The best way to treat eczema is to find out what is triggering it. In many cases it can be detergent.

    I hope you find the answer you are looking for. i know how yukky eczema can be. Love. x

    ReplyDelete

Please do not spam the comment box!!