Monday, August 25, 2014

7 Tips To Gain and Keep Followers

When you are participating in blog hops, link ups or meme's, what draws you to click on certain blogs?
For me I like to see a picture. When linking up I believe being able to link up a thumbnail instead of just the title helps bring in traffic. For me, I like to see nice colorful pictures. If it is a picture of you or anyone else I like to see it being creative. Not just a bland selfie. (sorry selfie lovers) This usually steers me away and I wont click on your blog. 
I use this picture a lot. It is of me and my son. If I do not have a particular picture that goes with my post I go to this one, always.


Now once you have clicked on the blog what makes you stay there, read the blog, click around and end up being a follower? Or what drives you away?
Once I have clicked on one that has drawn my attention if it take a long time to load I will close out my window and go on. Please make it somewhat simple, do not overload your page to where it takes forever to load. 

When commenting, I do not like the captcha. Sometimes I have a hard time reading them. But not only that but when I enter in my comment and hit publish I usually click out and move on. When that captcha pops up it makes me feel like it is an inconvenience so you will be lucky if I finish up. Every blogger loves comments so make it easier for us to leave our comments. You can manually moderate the comments, so if you have tons of spam get rid of it manually or put that little check box at the bottom to check to prove they are not spam. I have never really had much spam to my comment box so what do I know? It may not be that easy. 


If I am attracted to your blog I will browse a bit but if you blog about the same thing all the time such as fitness...I will not follow. I have read that people will follow blogs if they are about certain subjects. I just disagree. I like to read a variety of things. In my blog you will find reviews (not many though) recipes, crafts, my everyday life, photos and information about autism. Its wide and varies. I try to blog a little something about everything for everyone. Maybe this approach has not been successful. I do not seem to reach over 100 views a day. Put a variety of subjects in your blog please. 

I have came to many blogs and have wanted to leave a comment but have a hard time finding the comment area. Usually its at the bottom of the page and it says Leave A Comment plainly. I found several over the last couple of weeks where I could not find this. So I just left :-( Make it clear where to leave comments!

For some reason I do not really like the content summary being somewhere else. When I click to read your blog I do not want to have to go somewhere else to read it. I want it all there. Keep it all in one place or have page tabs that are easily accessible. 

The other thing that will draw me away from your blog is if it is very very long. Keep it short and sweet. Now this is just most of the time. I know there will be a few times that you want to write a more lengthy post. If so make it interesting and not dry. 

If I like your blog I want an easy way to follow you. I still use GFC and my blogger dashboard. Maybe I am outdated but thats what I chose more times than none. Bloglovin' seems to not be so popular anymore or maybe its just mine thats not. I am still confused when it comes to twitter. I am getting used to google+. If you have any ideas that is better please let me know. I look into everything. I personally like logging onto my blogger and seeing all the blogs I follow right there. 

To sum up the above, in case you skipped down to the bottom of this post--7 ways to attract me and keep me coming to your blog are as follows
1. Make your blog appealing to the eye
2. Make sure you page loads quickly
3. Get rid of captcha
4. Blog about a variety of things
5. Make it clear where to leave a comment
6. Keep your full post in one place
7. Make it easy to follow your blog

This is my opinion only. I do not speak for other bloggers. Just myself. 


19 comments:

  1. Some vary valid points. Another good thing is to make sure people can "reply" to your comments. If you are set at no-comment reply then people can't say thanks for visiting and commenting on their blogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that is a good one. I try to reply to my comments. But unless that notify button is not checked you won't know if I reply back. Another good point eh?.
      Btw thank you for stopping by :)

      Delete
  2. Great points here! I hate searching for places to comment!! #TurnItUpTuesday

    ReplyDelete
  3. but I was just capcha'ed... trying to make my last comment ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should not have been. I had that turned off....I'll have to recheck

      Delete
    2. Alright I took care of it. I know it had been checked not to do that but who knows what happened. Thank you for pointing it out.

      Delete
  4. Great post! I am going to really think about which areas I can improve upon on my blog - and I'm feeling better right now about not having a particular niche!
    I blog about all things that are in any way related to "making the most of every moment" ... and that can be a little broad!
    Pinning this to my Blog Tips board. Glad I found this at #TurnItUpTuesday#49!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the nice comments. Now if it doesnt work for you dont blame me lol. I am just one blogger who has been trying to get my blog up in the air for almost 3 years now. Still working hard on it. It is just my opinion and what attracts me to blogs.
      Have a wonderful week!!

      Delete
  5. I agree with all of this! I especially hate captcha. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you do not have it on your blog, I am always commenting on your stuff :-) I enjoy your blog!

      Delete
  6. Really good points! I feel the same way on everything you said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is great. I was almost worried about posting this considering I not what you call a "successful" blogger.

      Delete
  7. You have a lot of good points. I sometimes wonder if I write about to many topics. I'm interested in a lot of things and that's what I write about. Thanks for the advice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome, now do not come back and get me in trouble if it does not all work out for you lol......Just kidding.

      Delete
  8. Excellent points! I found myself agreeing with every one you made. There are so many places to land on the web, and its crucial that when someone lands on your site, they are quickly compelled to stick around for a while. Your post title sucked me in and your succinct list of points kept me reading. Great job making your point in a very practical way!

    Thank you for sharing on Wake Up Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Totally agree with you about captcha! Why put the burden of spam monitoring on the nice people who just want to say hi? I plan to overhaul my blog in a month or so. I still have pictures from valentine's day up! These will definitely be great reminders. #TurnItUpTuesday

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are some excellent points. #TurnUpTuesday

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for this! Please come and link up to #merrymonday Link Party! This is a great reminder for all bloggers! Julia

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the post, Melissa. No 5 seems (commenting) to be an issue, I'vehad problems finding the commenting area with quite several blogs, too.

    ReplyDelete

Please do not spam the comment box!!