Friday, August 1, 2014

Canned Pickles in 24 Hours!

This year my parents have been sending me tons and tons of cucumbers and we can never seem to eat them all without them going bad. My oldest son Sean said something about wanting some pickles and was going to try something. Instead my Mr. Sexy decided to go buy stuff for canning pickles and he wanted to do it fast. 
I am from a farming family and my mother canned every single year but to have pickles in less than 24 hours seemed crazy to me unless you just like vinegar and cucumbers but you still have to eat those fast. 
My Mr. Sexy got online and found a recipe! 

Cucumbers
Canning Salt
Vinegar
Water
Ground Coriander Seed
Fennel Seed
Bay Leaves
Dill Weed
Pepper Corn
Sugar
The boys cut up the cucumbers into chip slices and then put them in the colander, rinsed them off and then sprinkled with canning salt or however much you think. This was all measured out by sight and instinct I guess. You let the cucumbers sit with this salt on it for 15 to 30 minutes. The cucumber will absorb the salt and break down a bit.

While this is going on bring your vinegar and water to boil-Equal parts.(about 2 cups to 2 cups) Add in your desired seasonings which you see our list above. With your sugar add more for a sweeter brine or less for a picklier brine. Around 1/4 cup. Bring it all to a boil.



Stuff your jars with the cucumbers and pour the brine over them into the jar! You want to cover your cucumbers. In one of the jars the boys added jalapenos to the cucumbers. The recipe says to let sit uncovered for a bit, we did not do this. We put the lids on the jars while they were still hot. Guess what? They sealed. All but the one that was not full. 

 There we have it! Some fast easy pickles


I was not expecting them to taste very well but to my surprise they do! The boys did an awesome job. 
If you want to try this yourself feel free to repin THIS PIN


4 comments:

  1. I have never canned but I have made refrigerator pickles! You make it sound easy! I like pretty much any pickle! Thanks for linking up with us at Foodie Fridays...so glad to have you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so simple!!! Thank you for stopping by as well.

      Delete
  2. I've always wanted to try pickling and my family loves pickles so I might have to give these a try.

    thanks for sharing your great tips on the #SHINEblgohop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only got to try one pickle. The oldest sat down and ate almost every single one, in one sitting.

      Delete

Please do not spam the comment box!!