Thursday, July 26, 2012

Should I Worry?

This is actually a vent post. I have not written one in awhile and just have some things on my mind. Now before I start I am going to so it up front, no, I have not asked a doctor. 
I have been a little worried about my son. My sweet little Logan. He is almost 18mths old and has yet to say any words. He will say mama and dada but he does not seem to be saying it directly towards either one of us. He will just randomly say it. Sometimes I think I may hear him say Hi but it may just be wishful thinking. He does not really babble but he does do a lot of yelling. Not mad yelling just happy yelling. When he gets excited about something on the t.v. he will jump up and down and just yell. 

He does not even point to the things he wants. I just have to figure it out. This part could be my fault. Not making him and just doing it for him when he fusses. He has gotten to where if he wants a cookie (Vanilla Wafer) he will go to the box and try to get it himself. When he wants a drink I just have to know. Sometimes he will go to his cup, shake it and throw it down and start fussing. Should I be mean and just make him learn to tell me or what? I have had two kids before him and they were not like this. So I am kinda stuck. 

He has always been developmentally behind the charts such as sitting up, crawling and walking. I realize every kid develops at their own pace but shouldn't he be doing more? Or at least acting like he wants to engage? He just acts like he does not care. I try to read to him and that does not go well. One thing he loves is to spin things. Anything that has wheels and he can spin it. He will do that over and over. 

My mom said to me a few weeks back "Do you think he might be borderline autistic?" I never thought of it. Now I am not so sure. He does not seem to have any social issues except he does not really seem to look anyone in the eye. He does me and my husband and his siblings so it could just be a shy thing. Reading the internet, yeah well that will make me think he is dying or something. 
I may be worried about nothing. He is my baby boy and I want the best for him. I am probably way over-thinking. So I welcome anyone to come put my mind at ease or give me some advice. 
I just need to get him to his doctor and see what they have to say. Of course they are the ones who told me he had baby acne when it was eczema and I tried to tell them that is what it was. Geesh!

I just love my handsome little man!





Photobucket          Maybe some mommas can help me out over at this new blog hop!

4 comments:

  1. Well, I believe at around 18 months they "the doctors" want him to know about 5 words... I honestly don't remember... My little man is 23 months and at his 18 month appt was saying nothing, so his doctor sent him for an evaluation. That's where I was given the diagnosis of borderline autism. What people don't understand is there is a huge spectrum of autism, and also with borderline, you have some yes he's autistic and no he's "normal" which is hard for any parent to say yes he's autistic if he's doing a, b, and c "normally." He's now in speech therapy twice a week and has learned a few words, but MOST IMPORTANTLY he is speaking in full sentences to us in sign language, which makes knowing what he wants SO much easier. I never mentioned it to my son's doctor, but at all his appts they have a battery of developmental questions and when I was still answering no to the talking it raised a red flag. I would definitely bring it up to his doctor if it's worrying you. But, relax, if it is autism or something else, there are experts to help you along the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the comment. I have been pretty worried here lately. I have made him an appointment for Wednesday. Hopefully we can find out some more. Like I said, I am not sure if it could be this or if he is just really stubborn.

      Delete
  2. My Bentley was like that too! He was always just a tad behind on the development questionnaires, and he didn't talk forever! I was totally worries! Now he'll be 3 in October and he's talking super well. He caught up on his own. He's also really athletic and coordinated, and has no delays socially either. I really wouldn't worry!! I know that's hard, but he definitely wasn't talking at 18 months and every child is different! Stay calm, friend! I wanted to say thanks a ton for linking up to the Mixer. I'm already a follower of your blog. Hope to see you next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cassie! I am hoping maybe I am over reacting. Guess we will see what the doctor has to say on Wednesday.

      Delete

Please do not spam the comment box!!